It’s been a while since our last interview with the team… We hope you guys are ready beacause this one really is worth to read. Meet Marianne, a sweet and super talented web designer
1. What are your role and responsibilities @EVO?
I am a web designer. My business card says I’m a project leader but this is just a nice way of saying that I design websites and mobile apps from beginning to end. It is something very interesting to do because it allows me to develop my organizing skills, which were not my biggest strength before working here.
2. Was it something you’ve always dreamt to do?
This job involves lots of stuff I was dreaming about when I was a kid. I’ve been drawing all my life and always admired my big sister who is a graphic designer.
First I thought about studying advertising but in my second year I chose graphic and web design anyway. As they say what’s bred in the bone will come out in the flesh 😉
I think I’ll achieve my goal the day people will pay me to draw and animate cute little personas.
3. What are the characteristics of a successful web designer?
I’d say that it is someone who dares create things from his personal talents and not by following what’s trendy and what’s not. Experience gives you the ability to identify which logo is going to fade even though it was supposed to be timeless.
4. How would you like your job to evolve in the future? Do you have projects you’re working on?
Yes, I’m working on a project with two colleagues. I’m designing an app that we hope we’ll be able to launch this coming summer.
My goal is to one day become self-employed. Maybe the app will make that dream come true ;-). But let’s not build castles in the air! We’re going to work hard for it but most of all working on this app is a great experience from which I’ve learnt a lot.
5. Being a web designer asks for constant learning, how do you manage?
Most of the time, I find inspiration in the things I like, such as the comics I read for example. I love to buy books about graphic design but I think the place where I learn the most is definitely the Internet. Even more for web design. Things are constantly changing and, sadly, books cannot follow.
Thanks to Youtube, tutorials, inspirational websites, you’re never out of inspiration.
6. Is it something that the company helps you with?
Yes, by giving us access to tutorials, for example. But I’d love to be able to one day follow a complete training to be even more guided in my learning of motion graphic for instance.
7. Could you share your best and your worst memory from here with us?
My first best memory here is kind of multiple memories. It happens every time I see someone I like being hired in the company. It is nice to work with people who are truly nice and who give you positive energy.
My second best memory is the Team Building we did last October. We went to Amsterdam for 2 days. It was such an amazing trip!
I’d say the worst memory is the day after the same Team Building; we were feeling quite nostalgic.
8. What blog, news sites or magazines are you loving at the moment?
- A blog: Le blog de Boulet 🙂 He also does incredible tutorials at the moment.
- A website: Madmoizelle, can’t live without it.
- A Youtube channel: Axolot, useless to know channel but very interesting.
9. Could you list 5 apps you can’t live without?
- Sunrise: a nice and practical agenda. Google bought from 2 Belgians, from my school.
- Soundcloud: for the music
- Feu Vert: Yes, I admit it… I don’t have my driver license yet.
- Two Dots: kind of a candy crush for graphic designers
- Poply: coming soon!